Integrity

 

Topic: Integrity

Be honest, with others and with yourself. Keep your promises, even those never spoken aloud; your word is your bond. Do not misrepresent yourself or mislead others.

Mantra: “Know thyself,” -Socrates & “To thine own Self be true.” -W. Shakespeare.

Integrity means a lot of things. It means doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking, which also requires Self-Control. It means being true to your word and following through with right action. It also means being true to yourself and following your own star.

True Integrity requires Effort. You must take the time to analyze yourself: your wants and needs, your strengths and weaknesses. Really get to know who you are as a person so that you may present yourself with as much honesty as possible. Then you can communicate clearly and openly and give others a chance to like you for who you really are. (This was a lesson I had to learn the hard way. I had been somebody’s wife for my entire adult life, and that was the core of my identity. After my second divorce, it took me a while to really find myself and figure out who I am and what I want out of life.)

Integrity also requires Mindfulness. Be aware of your true motives and your true intentions. Mind what you say and what you don't say, and never make a promise you cannot keep, even to yourself.

While honesty is important, it is also important to remember that it doesn’t have to be brutal. Integrity should be tempered with Compassion and Patience. 

Have you ever made a promise you couldn’t keep? What did you learn from the experience?

Namaste.

Reverend CJ Carlin


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Sacrifice and the Path

Beware the False Dichotomy

Path Doctrine on the Seven Deadly Sins